Building maintenance services are a vital part of building management and ownership. It improves the property’s overall value, enhances the satisfaction of occupants and visitors, and eliminates safety hazards. Routine and scheduled maintenance is ideal, but not all issues arise on a planned schedule. Therefore, an on-demand building and maintenance company is needed.
On-demand maintenance meets the immediate needs of issues that have come to fruition. Commercial properties specifically need on-demand care, as their businesses are on the line. A business can be significantly impacted by maintenance issues, especially if the time to repair is excessive. As a result, companies can see a loss of product, profit, and business while creating a safety risk to customers. Therefore, on-demand maintenance, restoration, and repair are vital to companies.
According to 2018 Building Owners and Managers Association International research, typical private building expenses can range from $0.02 to $0.06, but unplanned costs can quickly soar well above those rates. This data provides valuable information on the cost of upkeep and maintenance on commercial properties. In addition, routinely maintaining the exterior of the building, grounds, landscaping, and other equipment, such as the HVAC system, can help decrease the need for on-demand services.
What Are Building Maintenance Services?
Building maintenance services are services provided that maintain, preserve, and extend the life of the building and its components and include various tasks and efforts. Specifically, these services include inspections, emergency repairs, work orders, requests, and the overall general maintenance of a building. As time goes on, things deteriorate, especially without routine attention. Therefore, building owners and facility managers rely heavily on building maintenance services to ensure the functionality of all parts of the building and maintain a safe and healthy environment for all occupants, visitors, and employees.
Building maintenance services also keep everything up to code, in compliance with local, state, and national laws and regulations, and up to date on all inspections. A building that is not maintained is an accident waiting to happen. Ensuring routine maintenance is implemented is a surefire way to relieve some liability that would occur had the property been neglected.
What’s the Difference Between On-Demand Versus Schedule Maintenance?
On-demand services occur on an as-needed basis. For example, when a piece of equipment or component of the building stops working, it requires an on-demand repair. On-demand maintenance can occur at any given time and typically requires immediate attention as it can often be a safety or health hazard. For example, pest issues, HVAC problems, broken doorways, and water leaks require swift and efficient attention to maintain the structure’s longevity and the safety of building guests and staff.
Scheduled maintenance is preventative and proactive maintenance, regardless of the condition of the building. The building is inspected and maintained regularly to prevent major issues from occurring. Scheduled maintenance can often prevent on-demand maintenance issues from occurring.
Examples of scheduled maintenance are changing HVAC filters, building maintenance cleaning, maintaining and cleaning concrete, maintaining the building facade, and window cleaning. Scheduled maintenance also aids in preventing safety and health hazards to employees, tenants, and building visitors.
Why Are On-Demand Costs Higher?
On-demand building services and maintenance can be much more costly than scheduled maintenance. In addition, because it is not a routinely scheduled service, it causes maintenance crews to adjust their schedules and time to fit the maintenance request. This could mean after-hours and overnight maintenance calls, expediting the shipment and delivery of parts and canceling other jobs to accommodate the maintenance needs.
Another factor contributing to higher costs is that labor and supply costs have risen significantly over the past couple of years, affecting both on-demand and scheduled maintenance. However, urgent, on-demand needs will result in much higher labor costs as they are unplanned and urgent matters.
Examples of When On-Demand Maintenance Works Best
There are times when on-demand maintenance is necessary and could not have been avoided even with a routine maintenance plan enforced. These maintenance issues arise due to unforeseen circumstances and need immediate attention to remedy the situation before it escalates into a more significant problem. Below are a few examples of when on-demand maintenance works best:
- Water Leaks and Water Leak Investigation
- Temporary Broken Window Repair
- Addressing Urgent Building Facade Damage
- Emergency Exterior Repairs
Examples of Scheduled Maintenance Needs
Scheduled maintenance is routine, preventative maintenance. There may not be an issue at hand; however, maintaining equipment and all components of buildings is very helpful in preventing problems and prolonging the lifespan of the building and its assets. In addition, scheduled maintenance can prevent more significant issues such as roof leaks due to age, mold, safety hazards, bird infestations, clogged pipes or drain lines, and inefficiently working HVAC systems.
- Landscaping and Grounds Upkeep
- Sealant, Waterproofing, and Beyond Services
- Glass Restoration and Repair
- HVAC Inspections
- Regular Building Maintenance Cleaning
- Clearing Gutters and Drains
What to Look for in On-Demand Building Maintenance Companies
A competent on-demand building maintenance company helps a well-maintained business decrease the total cost of ownership while ensuring the building remains in tip-top shape. This partnership provides comfort and safety for the building owners, occupants, and visitors. Below are tips to remember when choosing a building maintenance company.
- Experience in providing services to your unique building types. There are several types of buildings, each requiring different maintenance requirements and needs. Professional building maintenance companies are trained in the management and maintenance of all kinds.
- Ability to follow all laws and regulations affecting safety. All professional building maintenance companies have fully trained experts with the necessary certifications for specific repairs.
- Ability to address potential problems to prevent further damage. Building services and maintenance professionals remediate the issue at hand while also being proactive and fixing more minor problems that will eventually lead to significant issues if not addressed.
- Around-the-clock availability. On-demand building maintenance services are available around the clock, night or day, on weekends and holidays. Commercial building maintenance companies know that emergencies do not just happen during work hours.
- Restoration services for a variety of emergencies. Commercial building maintenance companies have expertise in an array of areas. This ensures that they can address issues ranging from a water leak to an HVAC issue.
- Highly-trained field service vendors will address the needs fully and professionally. Building maintenance companies are competent and able to maintain professionalism, even as stress levels are high while completing the task.
- Cross-functional reporting, such as reporting facade stucco damage when fixing window leaks. On-demand maintenance teams can recognize issues unrelated to their task that could lead to problems.
- Provides quality customer service. Ensure they are responsive, timely, and efficient. Response time is vital when an emergency occurs.
- Ensure they have a team local to the facility. On-demand maintenance typically needs immediate attention. Having a professional nearby is a must for a quick response time.
- An array of equipment is at their disposal. However, each property has its demands and needs. Therefore, ensure the building and maintenance company has the necessary equipment to meet the needs of the specific task.
- Make sure their cost matches your budget. It’s always a good idea to be upfront with a budget. Asking for a quote will help decipher the comfort in fees and supplies.
Improve Your Team’s Efficiency With Quality Commercial Building Maintenance Companies Under the Valcourt Umbrella
Building maintenance is an essential aspect of management and ownership responsibilities. It increases ROI, removing safety hazards. Therefore, routine and regular maintenance is preferable. However, not all issues occur on a predetermined timetable. When this happens, on-demand, sometimes emergency, services are required.
On-demand costs can be higher but are frequently necessary for emergencies. There are many things to consider when searching for building maintenance services, including expertise, location, and safety certifications, to name a few.
Any company under the Valcourt umbrella will bring top-notch attention and services to the project at hand. Specializing in communication, accountability, safety, and complete building services, choosing Valcourt won’t steer you wrong. Improve your team’s efficiency with quality commercial building companies under the Valcourt umbrella! Contact The EDS Group today.